Anyway, this morning I woke up with a coonskin cap on my head ... AKA my kitten. And started the day off with 2 egg whites and a bowl of oats...
Afterwards I headed to the student organzation meeting that I'm a member of for all of the other nutrition majors at my university. I made pumpkin muffins for munching for the rest of my peers :)
Recipie from cooking light:
Yield: 18 servings (serving size: 1 muffin)
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon granulated suga
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
Preheat oven to 375°.They got lots of great comments!
And I heard some very interesting information. Like I would make more money moving back to New York as an RD. Hmmm. Something to think about.
Also there was a lot of buzz about GF diets. One member passed out a handout about how bad gluten is for you and that people need to just cut it out of their diet. I bit my tounge out of respect, but this is so untrue!
And I'll tell you why Gluten Free diets are NOT for everybody.
- Gluten Free is not a fad. An intolerance to gluten, or celiac disease is a medical condition where your body cannot digest gluten, and your small intensines villi are attacked. The gluen free diet is a treatment. NOT a fad.
- Gluten Free Diets are not like Atkins. I've heard many people tell me that gluten free diets are just like atkins because they cut out carbs. Bread is not the only food group that's a carb. All fruits are carbs too. And I assure you I eat fruit.
- It takes a lot of convience out of life. When most people are in a rush for breakfest, they can eat a breakfest wrap, toast, or a bagel. You can forget about that if you're gluten free. No sandwiches, no toast, no wraps. All your meals must be preplanned.
- It generally makes you gain weight. Since I acutally am intolerant, cutting out gluten helped me lose 10 lbs since I was so bloated. But gluten free breads and other gf products contain a lot of fat. So if you look at a box that says "Gluten Free" and buy it just because it sounds healthy, it has about twice as much fat.
- Elimination is NEVER the Answer.... unless you medically have to. I actually tried a gluten free diet before I ever had to medically do it. And after some inital sucess, it ended in about a week or two of just binging on gluten because I had been derpriving myself so much. I had also tried to cut out all fat before. And to my surprise, it caused high choloesteral. Cutting out fat will cause your body to start producing its own. So elimintation all together will get you no where. If you're gonna eliminate, make it french fries. But still... EVERYTHING IN MODERATION!
Then it's off to work until about 11pm, and then school at 7am. Blehhh. Have a good one!!