Remembering 9/11

Sadly, I don't have much to say about food or exercise today considering I spent pretty much the whole day as a sushi slave. Which means I worked twelve hours straight through without a break. Is that even legal? Probably not.

So I started by day out with a nice little fruit salad...

Followed by the random piece of sushi, and mushroom soup. But what stood out to me most today was this generous tip on a $97 check.

Yup. I really need to dedicate a post to being kind to your server. I mean come on. I get paid $2.50 an hr.

But what I really want, and need to talk about today is 9/11/01. September 11th means many different things to different people. For some it marks the anniversary of a loved ones death, a traumatic experience, or for many of us, a day we will just never forget.

On September 11th 2001 I was a 5th grader attending school on Long Island, NY. I remember sitting in class as students were pulled out one by one. I sat with about four other classmates, baffled at what was going on when my name and my brothers were called over the loud speaker. When my mom told us what happened all I could think was "Dad was flying today...". I can never thank god enough that my dad's flight was on the 12th. I was one of the luckiest new yorkers. Not any of my family members were hurt.

My classmates parents almost all worked in the city. My mom worked in a home office out on the island, and my dad did work in the city but was on a business trip to Texas at the time. One memory that always stands out to me were the bus rides home during the days and weeks following 9/11. I used to look out the bus window and just see normal parents. Now I saw people in casts, with crutches, covered in bandages, and sometimes not even parents, but grandparents. I don't know how many friends I had that lost someone, or how many candle light vigils I attended. All I know is that I had never seen this country come together so much ever in my 19 years alive. And it's so sad that it takes such a horrible tragedy to bring us together. Remember all of the flags flown on peoples lawns? How everyone owned a shirt with an american flag on it. It was cool to be American.

On 9/11, I just hope that people remember the victims and their families. And just remember an occurrence that we as Americans, really will never forget.


Question:
Where were you on 9/11? How did you find out?

1 comment:

  1. I was in my 5th grade class that day too, but I didn't find out about what had happened until after school when I came home and my mom had the news on. I can't even imagine what it must have been like to be in NYC that day. But, like the event itself, the surge of patriotism that followed is something I'll never forget about.

    By the way, I go to Ohio State :) yay dietetics!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! You're comments mean a lot. I mean every single one :)